5.6.12

new work

Being the awkward person I am, I was not very happy when the lino blocks I ordered turned out to be not the deliciously textured, hessian backed slabs of toffee I'm used to, but this latest grey coloured vinyl.
Still, I set to work with the radio blaring and a big pot of tea
Actually, it's lovely to cut; the tools carve like a knife through butter without blunting. So I grumpily told myself that it would probably make horrible prints though, as I gloopily rollered out the ink. A sound, texture and smell that is just heavenly and transports me back to happy student days.




I tried out a variety of papers. Above is a print on Arches aquarelle paper that worked beautifully, as did the cheap and cheerful paper nicked from Romy's sketchbook and a cotton handmade Japanese paper.
Personally, I prefer to leave plenty of grooves and gouge marks in my block...



11 comments :

  1. I really want to try this some day. Btw - I really love the new header of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gauge-marks and little whathaveyous often tell you it's a print as opposed to a painting, drawing etc. It's lovely!

      I'm so happy to see someone else is making prints this summer, too! Although I'm more in the woodcut-niche. Do you use a press or do you hand-pull your prints?

      Delete
  3. Thanks Kristin and Anna…you should give it a try.
    Saranna, I agree they really lend character to the work. Perhaps as a sculptor it's because I like to see the evidence of the artist's hands. I'd love to see your woodcuts…are they anywhere on the interwebs (or email me a pic?) I might try woodcuts next. Mine are hand pulled, although I have a mangle I use for printing dry points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just learning how to hand-pull(which should be quite liberating as then a press becomes almost unnecessary). The first woodcuts I made at school are here: http://saranna00sketch.blogspot.fi/search/label/woodcut and I'll be posting some process pictures on that blog as I get things going. There's probably a lot of: "Why isn't this working?!?!?!"-posts to come but not to worry, I will overcome my challenges. Like Neil Gaiman says: "Pretend you're someone who can do it."

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful! I love lino printing...the smell reminds me of my student days too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzie.......I LOVE THIS! Besides loving lino prints and donkeys I love rabbits also!
    I left the blog link to Apifera Farm on your previous post.

    You've inspired me to set up a table this summer, if we ever get summer, and make some lino prints.
    Would you be game for a swap?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexandra, it's funny how certain smells are such powerful memory triggers :)
    Carole, thanks for the link! I'm happy this inspires you to set off on an adventure of your own…give me a shout when you're done, a swap sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete