8.11.10

life through glass








I can no longer put it off. The clocks have changed, evenings are short, light is becoming precious and facts must be faced. For the next few months, taking photographs will be less about vivid colour and brilliant light. It's hard for me to believe that it's really only been a year since I went in the new direction with my photography and turned analog. What an incredible journey I've had; trials and errors, joys and sorrows, new skills and ways of looking and thinking. And don't get me started on the amount of cameras I've somehow acquired in the past year!
But last winter I took hardly any photographs on film, as I assumed that low light and film were a bad mix. This year I will rise to the challenge gallantly. No more aforementioned vivid colour and brilliant light, let's talk about capturing muted colour, form and atmosphere. I still have so much to learn. 

9 comments :

  1. Winters are also great for playing around with long exposures and bizarre ambiance in light. What I really wanted to say was I LOVE MACAROONS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! The fish ones look very clear and the colors are amazing. Is this Solaris film?
    I hope you keep shooting film this winter : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i just discovered your photographs on flickr! i love the colors and the tone. such inspiration. i've just started my journey with film cameras and i am enjoying it so much. i hope to be as good as you in a year as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saranna, Yes I guess it's tripod time….and funnily enough I hate the taste of macarons :)

    Paula, thanks and yes they are all solaris; very weird film. Have you tried it?

    Anabella, many thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like those above, the macaron on especially

    ReplyDelete
  6. but the colour shines in these, it does so much... i think it particularly stands out against the dark. wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the macaron one is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you can capture some wonderfully atmospheric light in the winter...as you have done here. The top photo is superb. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fiancé and I are working on putting together a calendar with a collection of our photos as Christmas gifts for friends and family... when we got to the late fall/winter months, we realized that we had a serious lack of photographs. Your post has reminded me that part of this hobby is challenging yourself to learn and experiment. Thank you for the reminder... hopefully I can build my collection of non-sunny-summery-day shots over the next few months.

    ReplyDelete