24.5.13

Thoughts

{Grafitti on Franz West's sculpture 'Agoraphobia' in Parc Raymond, Toulouse}

Yesterday I had a day alone in Toulouse, ostensibly to go and look around the galleries, wander with my camera, spend some time with myself without being nagged. I think it's what's called a Me-Date.
Things went a bit haywire; I left home in lovely sunshine that turned to torrential rain by the time the train pulled in to the station. Me, I was wearing canvas shoes, no socks and woefully un-waterproof clothing. I also thought I knew my way around the city better than I actually do and got myself hopelessly, terrifyingly lost, while the rain bucketed down on me. No chance to whip out a camera then, stroll about enjoying this and that when really all I wanted to do was keep finding dry places to go.
However, it wasn't an entirely wasted trip because I did learn something valuable from going round the galleries, and that is…I'm not cut out for the traditional art world. Now, I realize this is a bad idea for an artist. Thing is, I'm introverted, pretty unsociable and a bit of a moody bugger. All I really want to do is just make art. But I love sharing my work in the real world and wish I could devise a plan of doing so that was an equivalent of yarn bombing or land/street art. 
***
I was kindly invited to answer some questions about my work over on Carole's blog...